Orlando Marriage Counselor Therapist | 5 Reasons You Can Survive An Affair | Tiger Woods
From the Oval Office to Hollywood homes most recently Elin & Tiger Woods …. infidelities make headlines around the world. According to the “Myth of Monogamy” by Peggy Vaughan, 60 % of husbands and 40 % of wives will have an adulterous affair and 65% of those marriages will end in divorce. Infidelity can destroy even the strongest relationships. The betrayed partner is left with feelings of shame, guilt, and anger. These feelings can be extremely difficult to overcome, however, it is possible to emerge as a stronger couple with the support of family, friends, a therapist, and each other. However, not all couples will survive an affair. Jenny Sanford decided to walk away from husband Mark Sanford, South Carolina governor, after being completely honest with herself and her family about not wanting to work through it.
There are many reasons why someone has an affair. It can range from poor judgment and a lack of impulse control at the office with a co-worker to a more common search for an emotional connection. Whatever the reason the effect is devastation to the relationship. “Nothing rocks a person’s sense of self, trust, and marriage more than infidelity,” says Michelle Weiner-Davis, author of The Sex-Starved Marriage. “Infidelity leaves people questioning their sanity, as well as everything they believe to be true about their spouse, and about the viability of their marriage. Infidelity is crippling.”
Consider these 5 Reasons Why You Can Survive An Affair:
1. RAW HONESTY. After all cards are on the table, the couple has an opportunity to create a new pathway to healing and growth. Honesty is about more than just not lying; it is also about not withholding relevant information.
2. EMOTIONAL NEEDS. The needs of each individual can now be truly discovered, and these needs will need to be met on a daily basis to keep the couple walking on the pathway to healing and growth.
3. ACCOUNTABLITY is needed on a different level, which creates a sense of security and trust. This also includes letting your spouse know when you are attracted to someone else. This will keep it from being in secret, thus decreasing the opportunity to manifest into an inappropriate relationship.
4. COMMUNICATION. There is no way around it. When a couple decides to fight for their marriage, deep and intense communication emerges over time. The myth of “what I don’t know won’t hurt me” robs individuals of being able to act on facts.
5. REBUILD TRUST. Rebuilding trust for the offended person is the most difficult part of the healing process because the offended person does not know what has been true and what has been a lie in their marriage. The offender thinks that forgiveness is the key and that it will make the relationship better. However, forgiveness is not for the offender, it is for the offended person. When that person forgives, it brings healing and it opens the door to rebuild trust and starts the journey to healing.
Weiner-Davis, M. (2003). The Sex-Starved Marriage: Boosting Your Marriage Libido: A Couple’s Guide. New York: Simon and Schuster.
Vaughan, P. (2003) The Monogamy Myth: A Personal Handbook for Recovering from Affairs, Third Edition. New York: New Market Press.
NOTE: You can freely redistribute this resource, electronically or in print, provided you leave the author’s contact information below intact.
Frustrated about trying to find the right counselor! Our TLC experts take the guesswork out of finding a great counselor! Call us at 407 248-0030!
TLC provides therapy services for all ages in the Orlando Central Florida area and can handle almost any issue. At Total Life Counseling we focus on more than just the “Mind;" we focus on the “Total” person. Clients travel all over Florida, from the Bahamas and Georgia as TLC has worked with patients' and their prescriber' to reduce their need for medication. Since 2003 85% of our patients were stabilized with FDA approved supplements and dietary adjustments. Patients receive tremendous relief from their symptoms with less medication or in some cases without medication. Orlando teen and adolescent life workshops and teen camps.
Our counselors have been interviewed by local and national News outlets including NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox and Radio!
Total Life Counseling Center provides counseling, therapy, coaching, camps and career services for all of central Florida, including: Orlando, Winter Park, Maitland, College Park, Dr. Phillips, Pine Castle, Conway, Windermere, Winter Garden, Ocoee, Oviedo, Longwood, Altamonte Springs, Casselberry, Lake Mary, Sanford, Deland, De Bary, Deltona, Daytona, New Smyrna, Cocoa, Titusville, Merritt Island, Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Celebration, Mt. Dora, the Villages and the tri-cities of Tavares, Eustis and Leesburg.