Summer CampsTotal Life Counseling
Social Skills Summer Camp
Channel 13 News Interview Family Experience with TLC Social Skills Camps and Groups
Call Jim for a 15 Minutes Complimentary Phone Consultation – (407) 248-0030
Channel 13 News on How our Orlando Social Skills Camps and Groups helped a student make friends!
Who should Attend?
This Summer adventure based social skills camp is in the Orlando area and is for students that may lack assertion, poor self esteem, low self confidence or have social skills issues with their peer group. Students have traveled from Central, South America, the Caribbean, and all over the United States for this Social Skills Camp.
This Social Skills Summer Camp is great for students with:
- Low Self-Confidence or Self-Esteem
- Anxiety – To Help Face and Overcome their Fears
- Social Anxiety – Build Social Confidence
- ADHD or ADD – 60% of ADHD students are behind socially so we help close the social gap!
- Aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) – High Functioning
As all of these diagnoses tend to be behind socially by showing some or all of the following social delays.
15 Symptoms or Tips to Identify Social Delays
If you can answer yes to two or more of these items about your child, he or she may benefit from learning skills that will help him or her to connect better with peers, and to more confident and prepared for the real world. Here are a few symptoms to look for:
- Doesn’t recognize non-verbal cues
- Gets in peers personal space
- Annoys to get attention because they do not know how to get it another way
- Low self confidence
- Poor eye contact
- Only interested in themselves rather than taking an interest in their peers
- Talks too much
- Lacks assertion
- Impulsive or blurts out responses
- Tries too hard to make friends laugh – thinks humor will make them friends
- Reacts to teasing and does not know how to roll with conflict
- Has a need for justice and fairness and judges peers
- Isolates or withdraws from peers
- Always wants to be first or wants to play what they want
- Kids do not call for play dates or to hang out!
Student Leadership Camp is a fun summer camp that helps build leadership, learning and life skills in kids and teens! This adventure camp for students in the Orlando area is for students that may have social skills issues with their peer group and/or lack assertiveness and self-confidence. This camp takes place at the YMCA Camp Wewa ropes course.
What is the Leadership & Social Skills Camp Experience!
- The Camp is limited to 20 Students per week and will blend in with Camp Wewa’s students (between 100-200 campers per week).
- They will be assigned cabins with same age campers (i.e. 13 year old TLC clients will be in a cabin with 13 year old Camp Wewa Campers). We blend our clients into the camp so we can see how they do in an age appropriate environment rather than put them in a camp where all the kids struggle socially. If we put them in a camp where all the kids struggle socially then this would not simulate a real life situation and may not be effective.
- Students will have a screening to determine their Leadership and Social Skills needs.
- When the student arrives at the camp they will be greeted by a Masters Level Counselor/Student to review their goals.
- Our Masters Level Counselors will wear a YMCA Camp Counselor Shirt & Blend in with the Camp Staff so your child will not be singled out.
- Each of our TLC Counselors will be assigned 3-5 students, and Observe the students interactions.
- The TLC Counselor will then discretely address inappropriate responses, boundaries issues, social problems, etc. ideally when it happens and suggest more appropriate ways to redirect their behavior.
- Each day our team will review each student objectives and how they are progressing toward their goals as discuss plans on how to help them move toward their goals.
- Students will also have an additional 5-6 hours on the Ropes course for Team Building and Experiential Learning in comparison to the Camp Wewa students. Corporations pay $500-$600 per person for 6 hours on a Ropes Course!
- Camp Wewa counselors will tell other campers that inquire about why the TLC kids get more time on the course will communicate that TLC is “Total Leadership Camp” and their parents paid more for them to have more time on the course.
- For an additional fee over the next 1-2 weeks after the camp an appointment can be scheduled to review the progress for your student and make additional recommendations to build on their success.
Central Florida Summer Overnight Leadership Social Skills Camp Information
PRICING – Other camps charge $2000 and up to $3000 per week for similar services!
Fee is ONLY $1150 for the week + the price of the initial screening!
DATES & PRICES:
June 7th – June 12th-ALMOST FULL
- + the price of the initial screening!
July 19th – July 24th
- + the price of the initial screening!
- + the price of the initial screening!
To Secure your Spot, Full Payment is Required. Payment is Non-Refundable after May 1st.
The screening is to document concerns and behaviors so we can set goals for the week! If your student has already been screened in the last 2 years by Total Life Counseling Center then there will not need to be another screening!
Out of State or Country Screenings can be done via Phone or Skype
For non-Total Life Counseling Center clients there will be a Fee for the screening to obtain the following:
Additional Scholarships available at Carrie Brown Foundation
If you are eligible for a scholarship, you must attach it with your payment to James L West. Do not give it to the YMCA or you may not receive your credit towards James L West’s Leadership Camp
For Students ages 6-9 & 10-15. Students will be divided by age groups at the Summer Camp.
Observe student interactions with peers and redirect them by providing tools for positive socialization.
Campers will build relationships as they work together to solve each challenge, learning to trust each other and become trustworthy.
Students will learn how to read the body language and non-verbals from a horse as well as empathy, trust, teamwork and respect.
Responding to Provoking/Bullying
Anger Management/Conflict Resolution Coping Skills
Support Learn to overcome fears by facing fears
Reduce Depressive symptoms by building self-confidence
Reduce Anxiety by building learning how to face fears
Orlando, Winter Park and Clermont Summer Camp includes the incredible experiential learning of a challenge/ropes course, swimming and canoeing. Students will receive coaching/mentoring in the following areas:
Why Use a Ropes Course?
ROPES COURSES are “Challenge by Choice” which means we do not force kids to do something they do not want to do, but with encouragement and affirmation from their peers kids and adults push themselves to do more than they thought they would do.
Ropes courses continue to gain recognition as the experiential learning accelerates insight into trust, healthy communication, friendships, and leadership.
The Ropes Program utilizes various initiatives to challenge participants physically, mentally, emotionally and socially.
We include both Low Elements, which are close to the ground, and High Elements, which can be up to 40 feet high.
Camp takes place at the YMCA Camp Wewa in Apopka, FL.
How to Apply:
Once you have completed the Screening you will Complete the Camp Application (call 407 248-0030 for the application) & fax or Mail it to TLC (Not Camp Wewa).
What to Bring:
If you are interested in our camp and most of your questions will be answered by reviewing the Camp Application and Parent Handbook & What to Bring to Camp. Some of your questions should be answered on this web page.
Call (407) 248-0030 to set up the screening.
What others are saying? | Testimonials
Camp was uber-awesomeness… amazing fun times! Thanks for doing the camp truly one of, if not, the greatest week of my life!
He had a really great week, thank you very much to Jim and Seth and all you very special caring people.
Jim, you are an angel here on Earth doing very important work. We are lucky to have you in our lives! Read More
“Tommy (Thomas as he now prefers) is doing awesome! You would be so amazed to see God’s work in progress. Your leadership camp has changed Tommy’s life!
He really enjoyed summer camp… I heard descriptions of all the
different stations on the ropes course and which he did and didn’t do, but
in particular about the vertical wall…. and how it was the hardest and how
you “really had to work as a team to get everyone up and over the top and
how it was really hard but they did it! The best story was about his
distractible and kind of stubborn horse who would not follow directions at
first… when I asked what he did, he explained that as they got to know
each other better, he started to do what I wanted him to… but he still
kept looking over there because he has a short attention span…. when I
asked why over there? he said come here and i will show you…. well, over
there is where the donkeys and a couple of other animals were housed and his
horse was more interested in them than what he was supposed to be
doing…what a lesson for him in the car, on the way home he also shared
about some of the talks and activities they participated in, the other
boys, he considered basically all the boys in his dorm group as friends,
vs. being the kid who only wants one or two good friends and insists on
keeping a distance with all others….
There was an issue loading your exit LeadBox™. Please check plugin settings.