Who should Attend? This Summer adventure based camp in the Orlando area is for students that may lack assertion, poor self esteem, low self confidence or have social skills issues with their peer group. This Social Skills Summer Camp is great for students with Low Self-Confidence, Anxiety, ADHD or ADD, Aspergers, Pervasive Developmental, Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD), and High Functioning Autism as all of these diagnoses tend to be behind socially by showing some or all of the following social delays.
15 Symptoms or Tips to Identify Social Delays
If you can answer yes to two or more of these items about your student they may need help to connect socially with their peers and to prepare for the real world. Here are a few symptoms to look for:
- Doesn’t recognize non-verbal cues
- Gets in peers personal space
- Annoys to get attention because they do not know how to get it another way
- Low self confidence
- Poor eye contact
- Only interested in themselves rather than taking an interest in their peers
- Talks too much
- Lacks assertion
- Impulsive or blurts out responses
- Tries too hard to make friends laugh – thinks humor will make them friends
- Reacts to teasing and does not know how to roll with conflict
- Has a need for justice & fairness and judges peers
- Isolates or withdraws from peers
- Always wants to be first or wants to play what they want
- Kids do not call for play dates or to hang out!
What is the Leadership & Social Skills Camp Experience!
- The Camp is limited to 20 Students per week and will blend in with Camp Wewa’s students (between 100-200 campers per week).
- They will be assigned cabins with same age campers (i.e. 13 year old TLC clients will be in a cabin with 13 year old Camp Wewa Campers). We blend our clients into the camp so we can see how they do in an age appropriate environment rather than put them in a camp where all the kids struggle socially. If we put them in a camp where all the kids struggle socially then this would not simulate a real life situation and may not be effective.
- Students will have a screening to determine their Leadership and Social Skills needs.
- When the student arrives at the camp they will be greeted by a Masters Level Counselor/Student to review their goals.
- Our Masters Level Counselors will wear a YMCA Camp Counselor Shirt & Blend in with the Camp Staff so your child will not be singled out.
- Each of our TLC Counselors will be assigned 3-5 students, and Observe the students interactions.
- The TLC Counselor will then discretely address inappropriate responses, boundaries issues, social problems, etc. ideally when it happens and suggest more appropriate ways to redirect their behavior.
- Each day our team will review each student objectives and how they are progressing toward their goals as discuss plans on how to help them move toward their goals.
- Students will also have an additional 5-6 hours on the Ropes course for Team Building and Experiential Learning in comparison to the Camp Wewa students. Corporations pay $500-$600 per person for 6 hours on a Ropes Course!
- Camp Wewa counselors will tell other campers that inquire about why the TLC kids get more time on the course will communicate that TLC is “Total Leadership Camp” and their parents paid more for them to have more time on the course.
- For an additional fee over the next 1-2 weeks after the camp an appointment can be scheduled to review the progress for your student and make additional recommendations to build on their success.
Kids Leadership Camp – Fun Summer Camp Builds Kids & Teens Leadership, Learning & Life Skills
Central Florida Summer Overnight Leadership Social Skills Camp Information
- June 15th – June 20th – Cost $1020 + the price of the initial screening.
- July 20th – June 25th – Cost $1020 + the price of the initial screening.
- More Dates TBA
Initial Screening - The screening is to document concerns and behaviors so we can set goals for the week! If your student has already been screened in the last 2 years by Total Life Counseling Center then there will not need to be another screening!
Pricing to Secure your Spot full Payment is Required (Non-Refundable):
Fee is ONLY $1020 for the week + the price of the initial screening! Other camps charge $2000 and up to $3000 per week for similar services!
INSURANCE – We can give a diagnosis and group or individual therapy codes for each day of camp. Insurance plans vary so it check with your insurance to see if they will reimburse for the camps.
Out of State or Country Screenings can be done via Phone or Skype.
For non-Total Life Counseling Center clients there will be a Fee for the screening to obtain the following:
- Student History
- Identify concerns & behaviors
- Determine goals & objectives for the week
- Answer Questions
Where: Camp takes place at the YMCA Camp Wewa in Apopka, FL. Directions to Camp Wewa
How to Apply: Once you have completed the Screening you will Complete the Camp Application (call 407 248-0030 for the application) & fax or Mail it to TLC (Not Camp Wewa).
What to Bring: If you are interested in our camp and most of your questions will be answered by reviewing the Camp Application and Parent Handbook & What to Bring to Camp. Some of your questions should be answered on this web page. Call (407) 248-0030 to set up the screening.
Additional Scholarships available at Carrie Brown Foundation
If you are eligible for a scholarship, you must attach it with your payment to James L West. Do not give it to the YMCA or you may not receive your credit towards James L West’s Leadership Camp
For Students ages 6-9 & 10-16. Students will be divided by age groups at the Summer Camp.
Observe student interactions with peers and redirect them by providing tools for positive socialization.
Campers will build relationships as they work together to solve each challenge, learning to trust each other and become trustworthy.
Students will learn how to read the body language and non-verbals from a horse as well as empathy, trust, teamwork and respect.
- Character Building
- Leadership/Communication Skills
- Responding to Provoking/Bullying
- Anger Management/Conflict Resolution Coping Skills
- Support Learn to overcome fears by facing fears
- Reduce Depressive symptoms by building self-confidence
- Reduce Anxiety by building learning how to face fears
Orlando, Winter Park and Clermont Summer Camp includes the incredible experiential learning of a challenge/ropes course, swimming and canoeing. Students will receive coaching/mentoring in the following areas:
Why Use a Ropes Course?
- ROPES COURSES are “Challenge by Choice” which means we do not force kids to do something they do not want to do, but with encouragement and affirmation from their peers kids and adults push themselves to do more than they thought they would do.
- Ropes courses continue to gain recognition as the experiential learning accelerates insight into trust, healthy communication, friendships, and leadership.
- The Ropes Program utilizes various initiatives to challenge participants physically, mentally, emotionally and socially.
- We include both Low Elements, which are close to the ground, and High Elements, which can be up to 40 feet high.
What others are saying? | Testimonials
Camp was uber-awesomeness amazing fun times. Thanks for
doing the camp “truly one of, if not, the greatest week of my life.
He had a really great week, thank you very much to Jim and
Seth and all you very special caring people. Jim, you are an angel here on
Earth doing very important work. We are lucky to have you in our lives!
“Tommy (Thomas as he now prefers) is doing awesome! You would be so amazed to see God’s work in progress. Your leadership camp has changed Tommy’s life!
He really enjoyed summer camp… I heard descriptions of all the
different stations on the ropes course and which he did and didn’t do, but
in particular about the vertical wall…. and how it was the hardest and how
you “really had to work as a team to get everyone up and over the top and
how it was really hard but they did it! The best story was about his
distractible and kind of stubborn horse who would not follow directions at
first… when I asked what he did, he explained that as they got to know
each other better, he started to do what I wanted him to… but he still
kept looking over there because he has a short attention span…. when I
asked why over there? he said come here and i will show you…. well, over
there is where the donkeys and a couple of other animals were housed and his
horse was more interested in them than what he was supposed to be
doing…what a lesson for him in the car, on the way home he also shared
about some of the talks and activities they participated in, the other
boys, he considered basically all the boys in his dorm group as friends,
vs. being the kid who only wants one or two good friends and insists on
keeping a distance with all others….
Call us at (407) 248-0030 and our helpful staff can answer all your questions!
|Social Skills – Audio||Social Skills – Workbook|
SAVE $$$ – Social Skills Combo