Laura is also Psychology Today Verified and a Licensed Mental Health Counselor
East Orlando, Southwest Orlando and Winter Park Trauma & Eating Disorders Counseling
Laura Bravo’s Philosophy: We all know people who are sad, depressed, fearful, anxious or struggling with a special needs children. Perhaps people who have had bad/traumatic things happen or struggling with an eating disorder. Laura is the person doctors, pediatricians, psychologists refer to for these issues. The media calls Laura for her advice as she is well read and up to speed on the latest issues and has the best tools to provide help. We are all a combination of mind-body and spirit. All three need some semblance of balance in order to heal and lead successful lives. Laura has a passion to help her clients see the constant opportunities to learn, grow and mature through difficult life situations.
Laura is a second generation Orlando native. Laura and her husband are parents of a special needs child, and she understands the accompanying loneliness, expense, and stress these parents and siblings face. Laura is forming a support group for parents of special needs children. If you would be interested in such a group, please contact her at (407) 248-0030. For recreation, Laura enjoys playing with her three elementary aged school children and being a resource to the people in her community. Her favorite quote is from the music group Jars of Clay; “Love like the world we know is over in a day,” and that is what she strives for whether she is in a therapy session, or running errands around Orlando.
Our TLC Experts in the Media
Laura received her Masters Degree in Mental Health Counseling at the University of Central Florida as well as her B.A. in Psychology. Laura is an experienced counselor practicing since 1999 and is a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LHMC). She also is a Nationally Certified Counselor since 1999. Laura maintains the highest ethical standard in continuing education by satisfying continuing education requirements for both the state of Florida, and the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC).
Special Interests & Expertise:
As a parent of a specially needs child, Laura has a special heart for disabled (specially-abled) children and their caregivers. Laura, as a teenager, also struggled with anorexia and bulimia and uses her experiences to empathize and act as a source of hope for those battling with eating disorders. She specializes in the below areas:
- Trauma / PTSD – Post Traumatic Stress Disorders
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Play Therapy – Sand Tray, Games and Puppet Stage
- Play Therapy - Autism, Aspergers, Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), & Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Children and Adolescent Issues
- Aspergers or Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder
- Sensori Processing Disorder
- Career Counseling
- Relational Therapy
- Family & Parent Support
- Victims of Crime
- Domestic Violence
- Eating Disorders
- Tricare Certified
- Chronic Medical Conditions
- Chronic Fatigue
- Fibromyalgia & more
- Parent Support
Multi-Cultural – Laura’s great grandmother was Native American/Cherokee, understands how to work with clients from different cultures. Laura has provided therapy to 1st and 2nd generations from the following countries; Puerto Rico, Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Brazil, Columbia, Chile, Argentina, Ecuador, Mexico, Romania, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Sweden, China, Japan, Iran, and more. Laura knows each individual is unique and she explores/includes in her therapeutic approach an exploration of culture and traditions – what’s meaningful to her clients. Laura completed and excelled in University graduate course work in multiculturalism, and continuing education in diversity. Laura believes although each person is unique; we come together and form a marvelous tapestry.
Laura’s Interview in the Orlando Sentinel – A local attack makes for a cautionary tale | How to Stay Safe with Online Dating
University of Central Florida (UCF) Counseling Center:
Laura provided counseling services to students and adults ages 17-65 for several years.
- Extensive research working with college students struggling with just about any issues: Depression, Anxiety, Relationship Issues, Eating Disorders, Stress Disorders, Bi-polar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Substance Abuse Issues, Attachment Issues, Anger Issues, Communication Problems, Learning Difficulties including ADHD, Dyslexia, Gambling Addiction, Sexual Issues and more.
- School Accommodations: Laura also worked with students who needed ADHD or Learning Accommodations for Kinesthetic or Hands-On Learners. These students typically experienced difficulty in the university classes which were primarily Visual and Auditory styles of Learning.
- Career Counseling utilizing the Myers Briggs Type Indicator, The Strong interest inventory, and the Kuder Occupational Inventory.
- Couples counseling
- Group counseling: Support Groups
- Presenter on a variety of topics to the University and joined the Eating Disorders Task force which was made up of medical doctors, counseling center staff and a clinical dietician.
- Traumatic Brain Injury, Chronic Medical Conditions, Sexual Trauma (rape, molestation, incest) and Victims of Crime and Witnesses to Traumatic events.
La Amistad Behavioral Health Center:Laura with their residential adult program and their intensive outpatient program.
Individual, couples and family therapy.
- Groups on the topics of Trauma, Relaxation/Meditation, and Psychotherapy.
- Case Management: Coordinated with the clients’ inpatient/outpatient psychiatrist, therapist and substance abuse therapist.
- Dual diagnoses & Crisis Counseling
- Mental Health Counselors of Central Florida (MHCCF):Over the course of eleven years, Laura volunteered and worked as an independent contractor with MHCCF.Mentor
- to psychology and counseling students, and participated in a formal mentoring program through the UCF Alumni Association.
- Assisted Counseling Students, interns and licensed counselors with issues such as requirements for licensure, careers in counseling, trends in counseling, ethical, political and legal issues in counseling.
- Seminars: Laura helped to schedule trainings and workshops on various counseling specialties such as trauma, abuse, depression, and much more to help mental health professionals stay current and meet their continuing education requirements.
- Public Speaking on a variety of topics
- Counseling: Individual, couples and family therapy and faith based relational counseling.
- LMHC MH6561 – State of Florida’s Department of Health
- NBCC – National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC)
- AACC-American Association of Christian Counselors
- MHCCF-Florida Mental Health Counselors Association
- APT-Central Florida Association for Play Therapy