Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Counseling & Therapy Services in Orlando, East Orlando, Lake Mary, Winter Park & Clermont Florida FL
What Is EMDR?
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing is a powerful counseling technique which has been very successful in helping people who suffer from trauma, anxiety, panic, disturbing memories, post traumatic stress and many other emotional problems. Until recently, these conditions were difficult and time-consuming to treat. EMDR is considered a breakthrough technique because of its simplicity and the fact that it can bring quick and lasting relief for most types of emotional distress.
EMDR uses a technique called bilateral stimulation, (using right/left eye movement, or tactile stimulation), which repeatedly activates the opposite sides of the brain, releasing emotional experiences that are “trapped” in the nervous system. This assists the neurophysiological system (the basis of the mind/body connection) to free itself of blockages and reconnect itself.
Total Life Counseling Center Experts in the News on this Trauma or Anxiety!
How Does It Work? The counselor works gently with the client and asks him/her to revisit the traumatic moment or incident, recalling feelings surrounding the experience, as well as any negative thoughts, feelings and memories. They then holds their fingers about eighteen inches from the clients face and begins to move them back and forth like a windshield wiper (this can also be accomplished through hand taping or alternating auditory sounds). The client tracks the movements as if watching ping pong. The more intensely the client focuses on the memory, the easier it becomes for the memory to come to life. As quick and vibrant images arise during the therapy session, they are processed by the eye movements, resulting in painful feelings being exchanged for more peaceful, loving and resolved feelings.
What problems are helped by EMDR? EMDR is the most effective and rapid method for healing PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) as shown by extensive scientific research studies. This therapy protocol is especially effective for emotional problems or traumatic events that have taken place within the last three months.
The studies to date show a high degree of effectiveness with the following conditions:
- Injury or Loss of a Loved One
- Car Accident or Work Related Accidents & Injuries
- Witness of Violent Crimes / Post Traumatic Stress
- Test Anxiety / Relational Anxiety
- Trouble Sleeping / Worrying / Phobias / Fears
- Low Self-Esteem / Bad Temper / Panic Attacks
- Physical, Emotional, Verbal & Sexual Abuse / Rape
- Natural Disasters / Fire / Childhood Trauma & Abuse
- Depression / Anger / Sadness / Assault
- Eating Disorders / Performance Anxiety
This information was adapted from the following Resources:
Shapiro, F. (2001). Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, 2nd Ed. , The Guilford Press: New York, NY
What other therapies are most effective for PTSD, Anxiety or Trauma!
- RRTT – Rapid Resolution Trauma Therapy is most likely the best trauma therapy approach as more people find results quicker than EMDR and NLP and often feel relief after the first 1-3 sessions! Additionally, some people are not good candidates for EMDR when most people can benefit from the Rapid Resolution Trauma Therapy. Read More
- EFT – Emotion Freedom Techniques is a very effective short term therapy used in helping people be free from the intense feelings of trauma. This technique is used in addictions treatments as well and in many cases more effective than 12 step programs!
- TF CBT – Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy helps people change their thinking patterns and the way they react to anxiety provoking situations.
- Wellness & Supplements: Interestingly, twenty minutes of aerobic exercise per day is thought to be an effective weapon against anxiety. Good nutrition is essential and adding supplements such as B Vitamins, calcium, amino acids, and Vitamin C may be important but the quality of the supplements are paramount. We can direct you to the right health food stores to get the right brands that often work immediately. Caffeine and cigarettes aggravate anxiety and should be eliminated or decreased. Often with your treatment for PTSD the cravings to smoke or drink caffeine are reduced considerably.
Total Life Counseling Center provides counseling, therapy, coaching, camps and career services for all of central Florida. Call us for a Complimentary 15 Minute call at 407 248-0030!