Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Counseling and Therapy Services in Orlando, Central Florida, Winter Park, Clermont, Lake Mary & East Orlando Florida FL
What is OCD?
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is rooted in anxiety. Anxiety manifests itself in many different ways including OCD. It is an anxiety disorder in which people experience the following:
- Obsessions: Unwanted and repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations.
- Compulsions: Unwanted behaviors that make them feel driven to do something.
Often the person carries out the behaviors to get rid of the obsessive thoughts, but this only provides temporary relief. With OCD, a person may realize that their obsessions aren’t reasonable, and may try to ignore them or stop them, but that only increases their distress and anxiety. Ultimately, the person feels driven to perform compulsive acts in an effort to ease their stressful feelings.
Who has OCD?
About 3 million Americans between the ages of 18 and 54 have OCD. OCD starts during childhood or the teen years with most being diagnosed at about age 19.
Total Life In The News
Total Life Counseling Anxiety OCD Experts Have Been Featured On Multiple TV Networks and News Stations:
Our subject matter experts have participated in over 150 national & local news interviews and they are here for you!
At Total Life Counseling Center our Counselors are Experts for National and Local TV, Radio and Print Media. We have an excellent reputation amongst graduate & private schools, attorneys, doctors, therapists, providers and corporations. We strive to ensure our therapists have diverse clinical backgrounds, to allow us to match each client to the therapist that will best meet his or her needs.
Call for a Complimentary 15 Minute Phone Consultation
Se Habla Español: We have Portuguese and Spanish speaking counselors as well.
What are the symptoms?
- Fear of contamination or dirt
- Having things orderly and symmetrical
- Aggressive or horrific impulses
- Sexual images or thoughts
Obsessive Symptoms and Signs:
- Fear of being contaminated by shaking hands or by touching objects others have touched
- Doubts that you’ve locked the door or turned off the stove
- Thoughts that you’ve hurt someone in a traffic accident
- Intense stress when objects aren’t orderly or facing the right way
- Images of hurting your child
- Impulses to shout obscenities in inappropriate situations
- Avoidance of situations that can trigger obsessions, such as shaking hands
- Replaying pornographic images in your mind
- Dermatitis because of frequent hand washing
- Skin lesions because of picking at your skin
- Hair loss or bald spots because of hair pulling
- Washing and cleaning
- Demanding reassurances
- Performing the same action repeatedly
Compulsive Symptoms or Signs:
- Hand washing until your skin becomes raw
- Checking doors repeatedly to make sure they’re locked
- Checking the stove repeatedly to make sure it’s off
- Counting in certain patterns
- Arranging your canned goods to face the same way
What can I expect from TLC?
Counselors can teach you ways to help find healthy ways to deal with obsessive thoughts and compulsions, help you gain control over ritualistic thoughts and tendencies, gain control over anxiety, and explore ways to treat other symptoms.
What Therapies are most effective for OCD!
- EFT – Emotion Freedom Techniques is a very effective short term therapy used in helping people be free from their obsessions and compulsions. This technique is used in addictions treatments as well and in many cases more effective than 12 step programs!
- EMDR – Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing is used also for Military Veterans and highly successful in freeing them from the intense trauma and anxiety they have endured in war and used for auto accidents, dog bites, substance abuse, addictions and more! Read More
- CBT – Cognitive Behavioral Therapy helps people change their thinking patterns and the way they react to anxiety provoking situations.
- Wellness & Supplements: Interestingly, twenty minutes of aerobic exercise per day is thought to be an effective weapon against anxiety. Good nutrition is essential and adding supplements such as B Vitamins, calcium, amino acids, and Vitamin C may be important but the quality of the supplements are paramount. We can direct you to the right health food stores to get the right brands that often work immediately. Caffeine and cigarettes aggravate anxiety and should be eliminated or decreased. Often with your treatment for PTSD the cravings to smoke or drink caffeine are reduced considerably.
We can help! Call us today.
Call For a Complimentary 15 Minute Phone Consultation. Se Habla Español: We have Portuguese and Spanish speaking counselors as well.